Friday, June 7, 2013

Gluten Free Beef Soup




Hi there, soup is one of the foods I enjoy and which helped me to lose weight. In Guyana, we used to make soup at least once a week, mostly on a Saturday. In my household, my mom made a huge pot of plantain soup. She made it with beef and sliced green plantains, lots of chopped onions and little dumplings were added when the soup was almost finished. I remembered enjoying this soup as a child with my brothers and sisters. If there were leftovers, we had it for dinner. My mom had a weekly menu which she strictly followed, so each day we knew what we were going to eat, for example, on Monday it was split pea soup or dholl with roti in the morning, dholl, rice and some other kind of  side dish  such as fried fish and some kind of choka (mashed potato or eggplant choka) you get the picture.
This is one of the  soup she used to make when we were sick, but she made it with barley and added dumplings too. I left out the dumplings and barley because I wanted to make GF. I thought I should share it since it is so yummy and good.


Gluten Free Beef Soup
Ingredients
2 lbs beef with bones cut up
2 large carrots cubed
 4 stalks celery sliced
1 med onion chopped
1 cup uncooked noodles
2 blades shallot chopped (for garnish)
2 large eddoes peeled and cut up
1 lb cassava peeled and cut up
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and black pepper to taste
About 4 cups of water


Directions

Use a pressure to boil the beef. Then add all the other ingredients except the shallot and allow to simmer until the vegetables and root vegetables are cooked. Taste for salt and add more if needed.

Add the chopped shallot when the soup is done. Serve hot.









2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy Mummy! Mansoor likes your blog, he will make the soup for me. It all looks professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great glad that he is interested in my blog..you guys can copy the recipes and put them in your memory strip to keep..oh I used GF noodles in this recipe..

    ReplyDelete