Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hi there, I like to share my battle with gluten and how I discovered on my own that my system cannot tolerate gluten! Growing up in Guyana, I along with my siblings were fed white flour in the from of bread, roti and cakes. We had roti for breakfast, sometimes toasted white bread and roti for dinner. Lunch was some rice and some kind of stew or curry. I can remember when the school nurses check me out without any blood test by just peeping into my eyes and mouth, declared me anemic and ordered me to get milk, biscuits and cod liver oil capsules! You can imagine  the reactions of my fellow students because my family had a small store and we were considered rich!

I grew up, got married and had four beautiful children and lived with sickness such as flu, colds, itchy skin headaches, allergies, tummy pain and pain in the joints. I thought nothing of gluten intolerance and it association with some of my troubles. It was only when I was hospitalize for colitis and put on IV for a week that I realized I had a very serious problem because four doctors could not diagnose what was ailing me. So I left the hospital and came home very weak a lot slimmer (which made me happy,I mean to be slim) and when about my happy life.

I started to blame my troubles on peanuts after getting tummy pain and diarrhea and so I stayed away from peanut, but my pain and diarrhea continued my hair got thinner, joint pains, headaches, itchy skin, weight gain and coughing and elevated thyroid was added to my troubles!

On a visit to my primary doctor, blood test was ordered among the many tests they usually do for folks my age and I also have high blood pressure.My doctor want to get me checked for high cholesterol and what not. On my next visit, my doctor informed that I (who thinks I eat healthy and cook my own food) is anemic! I was stunned! How can I be anemic? She told me that she got to do more testing because I am bleeding somewhere in my body, meaning cancer!

One day I was watching the Dr. Oz show and he explained  how gluten prevents the small intestine from absorbing nutrients from the food we eat, (well for some people like me). You can imagine my relief! This is my problem-GLUTEN! I am of those unfortunate people who cannot tolerate GLUTEN..So bye bye GLUTEN, so long see ya!!I also did my own research on gluten to be convinced even though I trusted the good Doctor.When I went back for a visit to my primary doctor, I asked her what she thought about gluten. She said she wished if she could get on it but she is not that disciplined to do it. So there, that was that.

Since I change my diet to gluten-free, I lost over 20 pounds, my hair is thicker, I do not have itchy skin, no bloating in my stomach, coughing eased, I slept better and I felt better!  But then I put on more weight! I continued to watch more of Dr. Oz shows on probiotics and discovered what meat do to your intestines. The antibiotics from the meat kill the good ones and so the fat is accumulated and thus we put on weight and get bloated!  For the past couple of weeks I am  vegan as well but I have fish, shrimp and dairy and I began to lose more weight!

Friends, my story is just like other celiacs (CD) who suffer from digesting gluten. The book I am now reading about a woman who suffered for decades was told by one of the doctors that she needs to see a physiologist! An aunt of mine who questioned her doctor about gluten, advised her that those people who are talking about gluten are not doctors! There are a lot of people like me who are suffering from gluten and do not know it! Most of their stories are just like mine. I do not wish to scare anyone into not eating gluten but to share my story. Thank you friends for lending your sympathetic eyes. God's Blessings

PEACE AND LOVE!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading this.I have started to in cooperate some of the gluten free foods in my diet because of my diabetes and hope a life eventually like you my dear aunty.You are an inspiration.Keep them coming.Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there..so happy you like my blog..yes diabetes can be reversed with the right diet.I will try to get some recipes for your type of diet as well..love you too dear..

      Delete
  2. I like your new pic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's an old picture..happy birthday love..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reading Alima. I am so happy for you and Insha'Allah by sharing your blog others can benefit.
    I am sharing my story with you today...
    I was diagnosed with RA in 1979 with the birth of my third child and after the first set of meds it went in to remission. However since the doctor who treated me had migrated I did nothing until I got a serious flair in 1982 after the birth of my son. From then on it was a serious battle. Everyone at that time was telling me that there is no cure for RA. And I had to follow a serious regimen of meds to get ease. Some meds I was allergic to and did not even know that.
    In the mid eighties my sister in law who was living in the UK at the time sent me a book about diet and RA. The book dealt with food allergies as a help for RA. So after reading I made a decision to follow it and among my allergies were white flour, beef, potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant, the latter three being night shade plants. I lost weight and felt better...but alas I became complacent and at that time all those I was in touch with were very sceptical. So I followed the doctors who had me some real strong meds and steriods were on top of the list.
    It is now 27 years later and as the pains worsened and walking and everything else have become difficult , I was going downhill. About 6 months ago I remembered those pain free early years staying away from flour etc. And so once more I have become gluten free, potatoes do not seem to affect me now as it did then and I can eat raw tomatoes but not cooked ones and no melongene. I do eat meat but in moderation and I also use a variety of fruits and veggies.
    I have lost weight and I can pray nearly all of my 5 daily salaah making sajdah on the ground. I make sajdah for Tarawih on the ground as well. Sometimes I may get some pains , so then I rest in the Sunnah salaah and Tarawih from going to the ground for sajdah.

    I get cassava farine and plantain flour from Guyana, and we have dhal, chaana and rice flour here in Trinidad so I use to make breads and roti etc. Cornmeal is also a staple in my kitchen.
    Perhaps one day I might decide to share my story in more detail Insh'Allah.

    Ramadan Mubarak to you and your family and May Allah Azza Wa Jall reward you for your efforts. Aameen

    ReplyDelete