Monday, June 17, 2013



Hi there, One summer, when I was living in upstate New York, I planted wild carilla (bond carilla or bitter melon). Those of you who are familiar with this vegetable probably knows that it is very good for diabetes.It grows wild in the tropics. Here in Florida, it strives abundantly. The leaves are used for cleansing the blood because it is bitter. In Guyana our grandmother boil the leaves and gave us to drink when we had eczema. She would scold us about eating too much sweet and dose us with bitters to bitter the blood and it works! My mom had diabetes and always had a small pot of this bitters which she drank every morning to help keep the diabetes in control. She used her prescriptions as well and she was very careful with her diet and she lived a long life. God rest her soul!

Diabetes is in both sides of our family. My husband's and me. My dear sister-in-law Dede (died) would throw away her prescriptions and boil her ' bush' but she went to the great beyond early, poor soul. She never believed in taking her medications only her concoctions, carilla bush being one of her 'bush'.

My take on this amazing plant is that I am convinced that the plant and it's fruit is very good for diabetes. I always buy and cook carilla every week and cook it fried or stuffed with meat and coconut milk. If one knows how to cook it can be very tasty and some of the bitterness eliminated with ripe tomatoes and coconut milk. I love to make a curry with the wild ones. Well, I had it for dinner this evening and I enjoyed it. Here in my recipe:

BOND CARILLA CURRY  (Kalonji)

Ingredients;

3 cups of cleaned and cut up bond carilla,
1/2 cup small cooked shrimps, ( or minced chicken breast or minced beef)
1 cup coconut milk,
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped,
2 garlic cloves finely grated,
1 tsp grated hot pepper, (optional),
salt to taste,
2 tbs curry powder,
2 tsp.  ground coriander,
2 tsp. ground cumin,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp.whole cumin,
2 tbsp. chopped shallot.
about 1/4 cup coconut oil,

Directions:

1. This how I prepare the carilla: I cut the carillas in half and remove the little seeds. If they are very big, I cut them in four. I  put the cut up carillas in a zip lock bag and freeze it. Then I soak it in hot water to thaw. Next I squeeze it out to get some of the bitterness out. Next I heat some coconut oil and fry it until a little brown. I remove the fried carilla and drain the excess oil. (to be used to saute the onions adding more if needed).

2. On low heat, add the onions and a pinch of salt and saute until translucent. Move aside the onions and add to whole cumin and mustard seeds, cover the pot to prevent the seeds from popping out of the pot. After a popping sound is heard, add the ground cumin, coriander and curry powder and stir until saute. Add the  pepper and garlic and stir

3. Add the fried shrimps, fried carilla and chopped tomatoes and mix well. Next add the coconut milk, and salt. Cover the pot and cook on slow heat stirring occasionally until all the liquid is absorbed. Taste for enough salt. Add the shallot when the dish is done. Serve with rice or roti. Delicious!


(Stuffing the cousins of bond carrilla, (the big ones) is almost the same process, except it is slit on one side, the seeds removed and sprinkle with salt. It is left to get softened, then squeezed to remove the liquid, then fried whole. Then follow step 2 and add the meat  and cook until the meat is fully cooked. Allow to cool to warm.  Next, the fried whole carilla  is stuffed with the curry meat and tied  with a string to secure the stuffing. Put the stuffed  carilla back in the pot and pout the coconut milk over them. Add the chopped tomatoes and enough salt. Cook slowly until all liquid is absorbed. Add the shallots at the end of cooking.)  Enjoy!

Making stuffed carilla (or kalonji) is tedious but this dish is awesome and good for you, especially if you have diabetes. Whenever my hubby eats it and he test his blood it always read low. I do hope you my dear friends will try it.  Good luck!

PEACE AND LOVE!
















No comments:

Post a Comment