Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hi there, here is my story about pound cake. Growing up in Guyana as a child, I did not like sponge cake. My mom and grandmother made their prized sponge cake and I did not touch it, I preferred fruit cake or black cake ( black cake recipe will be in my future posting). I cannot explain why I did not like  sponge cake. I only thought it  was too rich and buttery for my liking.

When I came to America and ate pound cake I was delighted and got hooked. Folks you can image my distress of not eating pound cake when I got on a gluten-free diet! I searched for a substitute I can make without flour and got a recipe from a GF recipe book I bought at Barnes  & Noble. Just today I made the cake and it was gone in a few minutes. Oh well I did not ate the whole cake. I got help from my hubby and grand children. Here is the recipe:

ALMOND FLOUR POUND CAKE




INGREDIENTS:

1 stick butter, softened,
 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened,
3/4 cup white sugar,
4 eggs,
1 tsp. vanilla,
2 1/2 cups almond flour,
1 tsp. baking powder,
1/2 tsp. salt,
1/4 tsp. ground ginger,
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom,
1 tbsp. honey roasted sliced almonds,
Berries and whipped cream (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (or two mini loaf pans) with nonstick cooking  spray.

2. Beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until well blended.

3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

4. Combine almond flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cardamom in a medium bowl. Gradually add to egg mixture while beating on medium speed.

5. Pour into prepared pan (pans); sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Serve with berries and whipped cream. Makes 9 1-inch) slices.

Good luck! enjoy..PEACE AND LOVE

2 comments:

  1. That looks great. But I wasn't there to eat any...booboo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol..I can always make one for you love..

    ReplyDelete