Sunday, June 2, 2013

hi there..since going on a gluten-free diet, one of the food I miss so much is roti. Growing up in South America, we used to eat roti every morning and for dinner. It is a staple in Guyana. It is the first food a young girl is taught and perfected so she will make a good cook for her family.(No long polished nails are allowed).Every body loves roti.
So you can image my torture of cooking the love of my life and not sinking my taste buds into it's soft flaky goodness! It is pure torture, but I enjoy making for my family, don't get me wrong..
I tried making them with different kinds of GF mixes and got disappointed at the process and  results which I would not bore you with. Then I came across this awesome recipe for tortillas on the internet and tried it the next day and oh gosh I got so excited at the results that I thought I have to share it with my dear friends..Sorry I forgot the take pics. Here is the recipe:

Dry Ingredients:
1/3 c millet flour
1/4 c quinoa flour
1/2 c tapioca flour (not starch)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
2 tsp agave
1/3 c warm water
3 tbs coconut oil

Directions:
Put all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and whisk at med. Mix the wet ingredients together then add to the dry and mix at med for two minutes. ( I used the paddle).Scrape down the sides and continue to mix.

Next, tightly wrap the dough and place in the fridge for 45 minutes. Cut into four equal pieces and balls. Heat a thick pan (roti pan) on med. Pat out the balls into little disc and dip into fine rice flour, then roll out thinly. Cook for 2 minutes on each side and then brush with melted butter and enjoy soft, pliable roti..

 This is the best tortillas ( which I will call roti, the nearest substitute for roti) I ever tasted, even my baby grandson Mika ate a quarter of it. I hope you roti lovers will try it..


No comments:

Post a Comment